Job to be Done: Manage Inspections to Identify As Many Issues As Possible; Then Manage Those Issues to Resolution
As the owner of large construction projects, your goal is to deliver a high quality facility compliant with the requirements in the contract and project plan. Large field teams need to be deployed to inspect and ensure that your facilities are truly being built to meet these requirements. From these inspections, ten of thousands of different types of issues need to be addressed by the extended project team that includes contractors, subcontractors, owner representatives, A&E, and other parties.
Collaboration of the project team around identifying and resolving issues in a timely manner is a huge job that is extremely difficult to manage. It is common for unresolved or “open” issues to pile up toward the end of the project and deficiencies to be present at turnover.
The Challenges of Managing Deﬁcient Construction Issues
1. A low number of issues is found and tracked during the construction process. The issues are present but not identified and reside with different parties, where management cannot see them.
2. The total number of open issues peaks late in the project timeline. Turnaround times are slower because paper, pen, and Excel processes (retyping, emailing, sorting, prioritizing, delegating etc.) are cumbersome. A large number of issues remain near the end of the project, and the project team will have trouble dealing with all of them effectively. Issues and defects are missed – quality goes down
3. Owner and contractors make a huge push during the last 5% of the timeline to close issues quickly.
- Risk level is high with many uncertainties.
- High amount of rework costs all parties.
- Issues often require more time to correct than if they had been addressed earlier.
- Quality problems are overlooked, so deficiencies remain at turnover.
- The schedule is pushed out if Certificate of Occupancy permits cannot be obtained.
- Budgets go over.
4. The owner is forced to occupy the building with open issues and defects present.